Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pear Honey

Hey Folks- Sorry I haven't added anything in a while. Sheldon and I have been on the Atkins diet for a couple weeks and therefore I haven't made anything tasty. Seriously, we are eating steamed vegetables and chicken.

BUT I did pick up a grip load of pears this weekend at a local farm and have been busy canning. I didn't realize how many pears I had until I started canning and had to buy more jars. I wanted to branch out and with the remaining 15 pears I decided to make this recipe I found on allrecipes.com. It's pretty darn good. At least I think it is. I had barely a taste since you know... Dr. Atkins would forbid it.

My pears were pretty ripe and they still took forever to break down, so I would highly recommend puréeing them before adding them to the pot.

Ingredients

8 cups peeled, cored and chopped pears
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
8 cups white sugar

Directions

1.Place chopped pears into a large pot, and pour pineapple juice over them to prevent them from browning. Stir in sugar, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. When the pears are at a full boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the mixture is the color and texture of honey. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets. Cooking time is about 2 to 3 hours.
2.Ladle into hot sterile jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth, and seal jars with lids and rings. Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.


I got 3 pints out of this recipe. So if you have a bunch of pears give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. I made some of pear honey this afternoon and it was super good! We put it on some fresh zucchini bread, but really it would be delicious on anything. I even had some guests from France and Australia and they loved it too. The woman from Australia said she doesn't like regular honey, but she really likes the pear honey.
    Now I just need to get the Italian over here, cook up some flapjacks slathered with this concoction, and we will have our own little International House of Pancakes;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! So glad you liked it! I am not a super fan of regular honey either so I totally get your friend.

    ReplyDelete